Friday, March 31, 2006

Looking for a Pattern

Sophia has an interesting entry in her blog about originality/redundancy of thoughts. I know I blog about a lot of the same things, over and over. But I kind of like it when I look back through my blog and start to see themes emerging. It makes me feel like I am one step closer to developing my Theory of Everything.

When I was a kid, I was always generating sentences that began "All of life is about...", trying to capture the essence of existence. Then I'd check back in a few days to see if it still rang just as true. There was probably some kind of progression as I got older, from thoughts like "All of life is about being told to do things by other people" through "All of life is about longing for things you can't have" to "All of life is about jostling for rank in the social hierarchy" or "All of life is about trying to find other people to love you."

2 comments:

Sophia said...

Love...yes. Isn't every little or big thing we do all about trying to get people to love us? CEOs, politicians, actors, you name it. When really, it sounds so easy, yet is so hard to know how to love yourself.

I think I'll give it a try. Sophia, I love you. (Self-hug)

Damn. How come someone else hugging you feels so much better?

Erin said...

I think it helps if you can split your personality a little bit - and then give the hug to the weaker, more tentative little-kid personality.

The other thing you can do is put your arm behind your head and stroke your opposite cheekbone. Feels like someone else is doing it. :)