Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I Will Be Cultured!

I spent two days walking around with a theme from a piece of classical music in my head. Yesterday I finally called my dad to find out if he knew what it was. All I had to do was hum a couple of bars, and he said, "Beethoven, 7th Symphony, Allegretto." I was so impressed. I want to be able to do that. I'm on a classical music kick now, got out all my old CDs (and bought Beethoven's 7th) and am going to listen to them over and over (lying on the floor with headphones on, conducting at the ceiling), until I really know them by heart.

I also need to learn some foreign languages, take a dance class, read about art history, etc. There are such huge gaps in my cultural competence. What was I learning, all those years in school?

Side note: I like both Beethoven, and beets, very much. Coincidence??

No comments: