Thursday, March 09, 2006

Depressed Like a Mouse

Today I'm feeling beaten down. It has to do with having a job that isn't up to my intellectual ability, and being the lowest-ranking person in my department. While most days I like my job, occasionally I get these flashes of fear - like where is my career going? is it going to stall out at the administrative level, when I am capable of doing so much more? and - how will I ever progress, if I am repeatedly given these low-ranking assignments that don't allow me to develop any experience to prove that I can handle more?

In studies where mice were repeatedly confined with more dominant and aggressive individuals, they became withdrawn and exhibited symptoms of depression. They actually experienced permanent changes in brain chemistry reflecting greater susceptibility to depression, fear, and other emotions related to low social rank. I am afraid this is happening to me. All through school, I was one of the brightest and best, and I still have that intelligence and drive and creative power and passion. It's just not getting any outlet, and instead I am repeatedly handed menial tasks, and getting disciplined about my place in the hierarchy every time I try to take initiative. My self-esteem is flagging, and I'm worried that over time all that promise that I had is just going to dry up.

No comments: