Thursday, July 20, 2006

Toe Woes, Part Dos

I am in charge of keeping 56 nails trimmed. At least I was until yesterday - now it's down to 55. And no, my husband's aren't included in that count.

In addition to my own fingers and toes, I clip my bird's nails every couple of weeks (four on each foot), and the nails on my two guinea pigs (four on the front feet, three on the back) every month.

Yesterday I was sweeping in the guinea pig area. They have a section of the apartment fenced off and carpeted for their use, with a bridge that I made to get in and out of their cage. While I was cleaning up, I noticed a big dark reddish-brown stain on the carpet. I couldn't think what it might be - I was trying to remember if I'd given them a piece of beet or anything like that to eat. It was in the hiding place frequented by our older pig, so I picked her up and took a look at her. One of her hind toenails was completely missing, and the stump was crusted over with blood.

As near as I can tell, it must have happened several days ago, and probably when she was crossing the bridge from her cage - the structure must have slipped and pinned her nail between the two pieces, and she had to tear it off to get free. Poor pig! then she must have lain in there bleeding for a long time, and we never even noticed.

She seems fine now and the nail will eventually grow back. I fixed the bridge so it can't happen again. I feel like a bad mom though. I should notice when things happen to my kids!

No comments: