Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Gardenwife

I realized why I enjoy gardening so much. It's basically like cleaning. Here I am trying to steer myself away from becoming a boring housewife by developing an outside interest like gardening, but no, the garden is basically just an extension of the house. When I'm out there pulling weeds, watering, planting, pruning, mulching, it's the same routine as when I'm cleaning the house - go through and remove what shouldn't be there, put in what should.

I think it's borderline unhealthy that I like cleaning. It appeals to some organizational instinct that I have. The sign of a small mind. I use it to procrastinate when I should be doing big-picture things that require actual mental effort. My dad laughed when I told him this and said he's the opposite, the knowledge of cleaning tasks awaiting him inspires him to sit down and work on mathematical problems.

At least gardening, unlike house-cleaning, has some physical results. I've already harvested green beans, tomatoes, and gladiolus, and there's dill, spinach, zucchini, carrots, beets, and yellow squash coming up.

1 comment:

GW said...

Funny you should call your post The Gardenwife. I subscribe to Google feeds searching for that word and it's always fun to see where it shows up. I completely relate to you regarding cleaning vs. working in the garden! Enjoy your fresh harvest...My tomato plants are sporting ever-growing green fruits and my peppers are just starting to look like peppers. My Purple Giants are even getting their purple coloring. :)