Friday, July 21, 2006

Keeping It In Perspective

This morning I was talking to the maintenance guy for our building, and I found out he works seven days a week - holding down two jobs. "When is your next day off?" I asked him. "Christmas," he said. I was amazed. Here I am feeling a little like a cog in the machine because I'm just cycling through the weeks with not much to show for my time, but he never even gets a day to collect himself. His 'weekends' are an hour here or there at the end of the work day, a coffee break, a few minutes with his family at the breakfast table. Yet he still smiles every day.

1 comment:

GW said...

Isn't that something? I know people like that, too. I think younger generations of people, myself included, have grown up with the idea that entertainment and leisure is what matters in life. So, if we find ourselves bored at our jobs or unable to do the stuff we want to do owing to schedules at work, we feel deprived. But there are those who do their "thing" every day (especially in the case of the man you mention here) and keep a smile. Sometime, ask what his secret is. I'd like to know, too! :)