Friday, July 14, 2006

Cycling Through

Sometimes it seems like I spend the whole week looking forward to the weekend, and the whole weekend resting, and I never actually make much life progress.

The weeknights are pretty much shot because I'm tired, so I don't make an effort to do much. But I have this vision that great things will be accomplished on the weekend - I'll write, I'll go to cultural events, I'll visit friends and family, I'll go hiking, I'll learn new recipes. Instead, given half a chance, I do homebody things, resting and reading, because that's what I like doing. Then suddenly it's Sunday night, and I write it off as "another relaxing weekend" and plan to do the great things next time around.

I think it's because I tend toward living for the moment (aka laziness), as opposed to having a productive and meaningful existence. They're both really good life philosophies, but they're in conflict with one another. Whatever I pick, I'm going to feel obscurely guilty that I'm neglecting the other philosophy.

1 comment:

GW said...

I'm the same way, though I do not work outside the home at the moment. My husband's working evening shift complicates things, because weekends are the only time we can go anywhere with friends and socialize. That's why we spend so much time up at the coffee shop, I think; it's easier to meet people there and hang out than it is to spend every weekend going to various peoples' houses.