Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Still Got It

I got hit on at the bookstore. It's been a while since anyone hit on me. I wasn't expecting it - for one thing I wasn't exactly looking my foxiest, I had on old clothes and my hair pulled back.

Anyway, I was sitting on the floor shamelessly reading a book I wasn't planning to buy, when I heard someone say, "Hey, I always do that too!" He had to repeat himself because the first time I didn't realize he was talking to me. Then I glanced up, saw him, and grinned. That was all the encouragement he needed; he plopped down next to me and said, "So what are you reading?" and it went from there. He asked my advice on classes he should take next semester, wanted to know where I went to school, asked what my favorite movies were, asked if I believed in telekinesis (his attempt to demonstrate his powers involved holding my hand and trying to read my mind). He had this shy, dorky manner about him, but at the same time he was pretty forward.

I acted friendly but the whole time I was trying to think of a way to bring into the conversation the pertinent facts that I was a) married b) waaay too old for him. Funny, usually I want people to think I am younger than I am. He was a nice fellow, but I just didn't want him wasting his time. Finally I said, "It's nice talking to you. But do you mind if I finish reading this section? I really want to find out what happens next." He got the idea right away, said, "Oh! Oh, sure," and hung around for a few more minutes pretending to read a book off a nearby shelf, then moseyed off.

No comments: