Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Friends

So yesterday I went to dinner with some new friends from work, and glibly confessed my aspirations to someday have a family and a house in the suburbs, and my worries that I'm not going to get there doing environmental work. I always fall into the trap of assuming that because people are treating me warmly and like I've known them for years, that I can relax and be open with them. Like I've already passed the test. But - Erin! You have not passed! This IS the test, going on right now! So I say things like that and the mood turns against me, almost like a temperature change. And I suddenly realize I'm not in the company of bosom buddies, at all, and that I just shot myself in the foot, and from now on there's always going to be a kind of frosty reserve in their eyes when they speak to me.

Yesterday my downfall started when someone asked if I partied a lot in college, and I said that I hardly ever went out, that I wasn't very cool in college, and then someone else asked what kind of music I liked, and I said that lately I've been enjoying classical (strike two), and then I wrapped it up with my confessions about the suburbs, after which there was a poignant pause and then someone said, "I'm really anti-all that. It's so terrible, environmentally. That's not how I would ever choose to live." Which was when I suddenly woke up and realized these weren't my friends, at least not yet, and perhaps now wouldn't ever be. The thing is, they're nice people. But you do have to keep up a facade of coolness as you get to know new people, and say what they want to hear, and later after they've decided you're in, you get to be yourself. I know that. I just forget to do it.

3 comments:

Sven said...

OK, I'm going to get up on my soap box, throw down my gloves, stop beating around the bush, tell it like it is (and a few other cliches I can't think of right now).

Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks!!!

If you want to live in the suburbs than live there. If you like classical music than LIKE CLASSICAL MUSIC, DAMMIT! And if you need to, make them feel stupid for not liking it. And never, EVER make excuses for who you are or were. Yes, life is a constant test but you, not anyone else, are the proctor.

It took me far too long to realize that life is too damn short to waist it on things (or people) that make me miserable. If they don't share your interests, screw 'em.

Sophia said...

Ditto.

It is so freeing when you are able to stop caring what people think of you and your choices, and especially, not need to be envied for what you have or who you are.

It took me a while to realize it too. I don't know what the key is. Maybe it's knowing that everyone else is probably feeling just as insecure and worried as you, which makes all the worrying seem pointless.

Erin said...

You are both right. Thanks for the words of support. I'd like to be strong enough to not care what other people think, and I'm working on getting there. Old habits are hard to kick though. Maybe someday I'll have a circle of friends I can be completely open with. Till then, it's a balance between being friendly with people who aren't exactly kindred spirits, when I'm tired of being lonely, and striking out on my own, when I get tired of putting on an act.