Monday, October 03, 2005

Yappy Yap

For some reason I keep getting drawn into long conversations with people I know incidentally. I know, for example, all about the problems that the security guard in my building has had teaching his daughter Yvonne to drive, and about the 60th birthday party his wife threw him, and about his volunteer work at the local homeless shelter. I know about the house recently purchased by the janitor, who is also teaching me Spanish, a few words at a time. I know about my bus driver's new kitten, the yoga classes the clerk at the post office is thinking about taking, and my building super's plans for his anniversary with his wife. I know the receptionist is taking the LSAT in two weeks.

I'm not sure how these conversations happen. It's not like this is a small town. It's not like, in most cases, I even try to get into conversations with people. I'm usually hurrying, trying to get somewhere, and get drawn unwillingly into discussion, and am then unable to extricate myself. Mostly with the security guard. I used to feel bad that he has such a boring job, so I introduced myself to him and would always inquire about his weekend or make other small talk if I could. Now he waylays me every time I go in and out of the building, and wants to tell me all about his life! I've been late to meetings, twice, because I couldn't get away - he would just keep talking right over me as I feebly protested, "I have to go!" edging towards the elevators. Now I walk past him as fast as I can so I won't get stuck - twice I've ducked into the elevator calling, "Have a nice day!" over my shoulder, and I can hear that he's talking to me but I keep going anyway. I feel awful about this. I hate being rude to people. Why do I get yapped to so much? It's probably because my social skills are so poor. If I was more skilled, I would know how to gracefully end conversations and get away.

No comments: