Friday, October 14, 2005

The Rescue Effort

http://www.hsus2.org/slideshow-katrina/
made me cry. It's a slideshow of pictures from the animal rescue effort in New Orleans. When I saw the picture of the starving dog on the leash, the tears just spontaneously welled up and spilled over.

Sometimes I think I should work for the Humane Society because animal welfare is a cause I'm truly passionate about. But I'm not sure I have the emotional strength to handle, on a daily basis, cases of animal abuse and neglect. I would go nuts wanting to hunt down and kill whoever was responsible every time an abuse case came in, and wanting to nurture and heal animals who sometimes have suffered so much they can't be healed. It kills me to know about that kind of pain. I think I have to work at something I'm less passionate about, just to keep my head. Is that a cop-out?

No comments: