Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Just Passing Through

I read last night that the average person will live in six different places and have ten different jobs over the course of his or her lifetime.

I must be above average, because I'm only a few years out of school but I've already lived in eleven different places and had thirteen different jobs.

The worst place I lived was probably the house with the Pumpkin Parlor. There were some good afternoons when I had the house to myself, and I could bake cookies, and the living room was flooded with sunlight, and I had my birds with me. But then my housemates would come home and start blasting rap music, often so loud I couldn't even have a phone conversation when I was in my room with the door shut. Plus, they never paid their share of the utilities so we were always having the electricity and water turned off. The worst job I had was at the pet store, because my manager was a Gulf War veteran who would stand up close to me and scream in my face like a drill sergeant. Luckily neither of those periods in my life lasted too long.

The best place I've lived (after my childhood home - so many good memories there, it has to go in its own category) is where I live right now. And the best job I've had is what I'm doing right now. So, I guess I have no cause for complaint.

No comments: