Monday, September 18, 2006

Growing Up

Some things I thought I'd never grow out of:
1. Swimming at the pool. My brother and I used to groan out loud when they blew the whistle for Adult Swim. We never wanted to get out. We couldn't wait till we were 18 and could stay in the pool as long as we wanted. Then, we turned 18. And magically we no longer felt like swimming for more than half an hour at a time.
2. Monopoly and other board games. I loved those rainy Sunday afternoons when the whole family would get together in the den and play board games like Monopoly, Clue, Balderdash, Taboo, or Risk. Even now I get a flicker of joy at the thought of them. Then I remember that it's actually kind of pointless to spend an afternoon moving little squares of cardboard around on a larger square of cardboard, and all my eager anticipation dries up.
3. Barley sugar sticks. All the different flavors: rum butter, watermelon, sour apple, peach, blueberry (turns your tongue a violent shade of violet). Wait till I'm grown up and I'm allowed to buy as much as I want, I thought (my parents limited me to ten at time, or a dollar's worth). Now all I can think of is how they develop that sharp edge that cuts your tongue as you suck on them, and the sickening sweetness of them, and yes the blue tongue, which no longer seems quite so appealing.

Things I'm glad I haven't grown out of:
1. Pets. Being with animals - playing with them, taking care of them, petting them, talking to them, socializing them - is still one of the best things I can think of doing with my time. If I could, I'd have a whole houseful.
2. Books. I still love reading. The knowledge of a good book waiting for me at home gets me through the day sometimes. I read an article recently about how Americans' literacy abilities are dropping (not basic literacy, but ability to read and understand long or complex passages). The article's article argued that this could be a good thing, since the average American doesn't need to read much any more. I think it's something to really be concerned about though. Ability to read complex works keeps us in touch with the world, opens our hearts to art, inspires us. Any loss of ability or pleasure associated with reading is a sign that our intellectualism is slipping.
3. Being with my family. We're still close as can be. I can't imagine living away from them, somewhere I couldn't go home and hug them whenever I wanted.

Things I didn't expect to grow into:
1. Bunions, if that counts. I thought that was an old womanish problem caused by, I dunno, not enough exercise or a failure of willpower or something. I value the ability to get anywhere I need to, on my own two feet. It upsets me that I sometimes can't do that any more, if I'm wearing the wrong shoes or my feet are hurting too much. It's no longer a question of will - my body is just simply letting me down.
2. Cleaning. I enjoy it a little too much.
3. Being the kind of person who (no matter how introverted and shy and scared I think I am, from the inside out) other people occasionally describe as courageous.

No comments: