Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Starting the Year Upside Down

New Year's is an interesting holiday. Everyone feels the need to get out and do something, and everyone asks, "What are your plans?" but there aren't any real traditions (except maybe, getting drunk and spending New Year's Day with a hangover, which I did once and don't recommend).

I just did a web search and apparently some people eat black-eyed peas, while others eat donuts (to symbolize the year coming full circle). I also heard that in Denmark it's considered lucky to be in the air when the year changes, so you should get up on a chair and leap off at the stroke of midnight. I like that one so I'll do it next year. What I usually do is run outside after the ball drops, listen to the fireworks and horns in the neighborhood, and stand on my head. My boy invented that tradition and it's great fun. Maybe someday I'll live in an area where there are deep snowdrifts around New Year's, which will make it challenging - but I'll still do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You stand on your head? I like that. I don't really have any New Year's traditions, maybe I should try that one. = D