Friday, June 02, 2006

Repeat Performances

Since we got back, lots of people have been clamoring to hear about the trip. We had a wonderful time, we loved Australia. I was excited to tell my family all about our adventures. But after spending a day talking with them, I kind of got my fill of talking about it. Now after a couple dozen repeat performances for the benefit of people at work, friends, and even neighbors and random acquaintances who want to know where I've been, I'm getting a little burned out on talking about it. I feel like I've recited our travel itinerary, and the major things we did, and the fact that we had fun, about a million times already - and we have yet to get together with most of our friends.

The clamoring for pictures is particularly strident. Before we left, everyone at the wedding, and my coworkers, and other random friends, all said, "Congratulations! Have fun in Australia! Take lots of pictures!" (like, those exact words, over and over and over on the day of the wedding) and we said, "Thanks! We will!" and now it is coming back to haunt us because they all want to see said pictures. There almost seems to be an obsession with the pictures. It's about the first thing people say to us now. ("So how does it feel to be married?" comes first actually.) Then in short order, "I want to see pictures of your trip!" We did take some, but I'm already tired of doing the show-and-tell narration, and I've only done it once. I am probably going to start telling people that we focused on the experience and didn't take that many pictures, to throw them off.

This is why I can't be a professional musician or actor (well, besides the talent thing) - I just can't do repeat performances. I do it once, and then if I have to keep doing it, I just feel interminably bored, and frustrated. But, everyone is really nice, and it's nice of them to take an interest, so I am doing my best to keep answering with a sunny smile, "Yeah, we had a great time!" and run through the whole thing, and agree to show them the *#&% pictures.

3 comments:

Sven said...

Nobody warned you about this part of being married, did they? Wait until you have kids. Every person you meet will feel entitled to touch your belly.

Erin said...

Oh but I like belly rubs. :)

Hey Kate, Australia is easy to love. Sydney especially. I'm already scheming how we're going to get back there - either for a visit, or maybe longer. You're so lucky that you actually live there!

Meg said...

You should just print out a list of everything you did and everything you saw and how wonderful it was and every time someone asks, be like, "Here. Read this. See attached pictures."