Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Deluge

Yesterday I decided to walk home, which is about three miles. About halfway there, the skies opened up and I got caught in a terrific downpour. I didn't have an umbrella so all I could do was just keep walking. Pretty soon I was soaked to the skin. Water was coursing down my face and into my eyes, my shoes were squelching with every step, and my clothes were totally plastered to my skin. It reminded me of times when I was a little kid and I would run out and play in the rain for the sheer joy of it. Being caught outside made me feel like a kid too - all the grownups were riding in their cars, or had sensibly checked the weather report and brought their umbrellas, but I was heedlessly out in the rain. After I got home and dried off, apparently my will-power had also retreated to juvenile levels, because I immediately tore into the bag of potato chips I'm not supposed to eat. They were really yummy.

I'm going to make an effort to stop worrying about finances and housing and my job and the tick of the tell-tale biological clock, and just take my pleasure in simple things. Life's too short to worry so much.

No comments: