Thursday, November 03, 2005

Songs for the Departed

Went to an All Souls' Day Service for the Faithful Departed last night. I didn't mean to go to a service, it was advertised as an opportunity to hear the choir perform Faure's Requiem, and I'm always up for a good requiem. But then when we got there, suddenly ushers were handing us programs and ushing us into a pew, and there was a gold cross progressing up the aisle and it was a regular church service (gotcha!). Nicer than usual, though, because of the cathedral ambiance - we were sitting up in the chorister section where you don't usually get to be, and there was lots to look at - carved wood, high stone arches overhead, swinging censer, etc. I didn't find the service that useful, tuned in periodically and heard the usual stuff about Jesus dying "to save the whole world," Purgatory, true believers, etc. So I spent the time instead thinking about the departed I've known, remembering them and what they brought to my life. I thought about my grandparents' accomplishments throughout life and wished I had been mature enough to tell them, when they were still alive, that I was proud of them and that I loved them. I wished I had spent more time talking with them. I also thought about the many pets I've had who have brought me so much joy, and how even the memory of their affection continues to make me happy.

I think the most valuable things a religion can do are to teach people how to be happy in their lives, teach them to live sustainably so future generations have the same opportunities that they did, and give them ways to cope with the fear of death. I don't think Christianity does a very good job of any of those. If I were starting my own religion, I'd skip the creation and afterlife myths, the worship requirements, and definitely the exclusionary stuff. The focus would be entirely on having respect and compassion for the earth and for other living beings. Kind of Buddhist, but more proactive - I think one aspect of Buddhism is to accept suffering, and I'd be more interested in finding ways to prevent or stop it.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Thanks! So far, so good. Good luck with your skinnification.

I wish more of the U.S. population was atheist. It bothers me that so many people, especially people in power, let their personal religious convictions dictate policy. I think religion is supposed to make people treat one another better 'in case God is watching'. But in reality, it seems to take away their sense of responsibility because they assume God will take care of things. Maybe I should move to Australia.