Thursday, November 10, 2005

Haves and Have Nots

I have stumbled across a mystery. You know those UPS drop boxes with the little sign that says "Today's pickup [has/has not] occurred"? When the driver comes by to pick up the mail, he switches the sign to "has". But when does it switch back? Does UPS have to send someone around at midnight to switch all the signs to "has not" for the new day? Or is it hooked up to a timer and it flips back automatically at midnight?

I was actually interested enough in knowing the answer that I called UPS. But the customer service person I talked to, Pat, didn't know. Actually I think she didn't get why I was asking at all. At first she was defensive and said it was early for today's pickup to have occurred, and if I had concerns about that... and then I explained that I wasn't calling about a specific box, I was just curious. Silence on the line. I could hear her thinking, "Boy that girl has a lot of time on her hands." I tried asking more roundabout questions like, do the drivers go around later to change the sign back? Pat said no. So does the sign flip back automatically? Pat said no, the drivers flip it when they pick up from the box. But how does it get back to "has not"? Pat said stiffly that she had no more information for me. The trail was cold.

Anyone out there know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a very interesting question. That lady on the phone probably thought you were weird, but somebody has to think about these things, right?