Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Rallying

I really do wish I was sharper. I want a keen mind that ferrets out illogical statements and carves up arguments so people are afraid to debate with me. Maybe it wouldn't lead to happiness, but it would protect me from scorn (real or imagined). I do OK on intelligence tests, but that only means I can tell which of the five shapes doesn't belong. What I need is real-life carve-em-up smarts.

In other news, this afternoon I marched in a political protest. We were having a meeting in the conference room when we heard the cheering outside - sounded like a sports stadium full of people. We leaned out the windows and saw the whole street was blocked off and thousands of people were marching, waving Ethiopian flags and banners that said, "U.S. Stop Supporting Zenawi" (the prime minister in Ethiopia, who's responsible for widespread human rights violations, and whose rule is being propped up by the U.S.). My coworkers let out full-blooded yells and pumped their fists, and people looked up and waved at us. Later, I went out and marched with them, all the way up to the police barricades where there were officers in riot gear holding German shepherds, and others riding police horses. The horses were freaking out about the flags - they kept jumping and rolling their eyes. I didn't stay till the end, but I was impressed at how many (working-age) people were there, who had obviously arranged for time off from their jobs to march in the rally. I hope a crowd that large won't be ignored.

No comments: