Monday, June 29, 2009

Reasons to Miss the Old Place

1. Walking home today (something I won't be able to do after we move), I passed a full jazz band playing "When the Saints Come Marching In" to an admiring crowd on a street corner. They were just getting to the part where it goes, "Oh when the saints! Oh when the saints!" and it was so peppy, I couldn't resist getting a spring in my step. City life is so full of vibrance and pulse and energy. I'll miss the excitement of feeling like we live in the heart of everything.

2. Despite being pretty antisocial, after living here for five years we know a fair number of people in our neighborhood. It's a friendly sort of area, and we run into the same folks over and over. Our regular supermarket cashier, the apartment manager next door, my mom friend a few streets away, the guy at the library, our two favorite sushi waitresses at the restaurant down the block, our upstairs neighbor and her grandson, my babyswap friend and her little boy with whom we have weekly playdates, and the building maintenance guy who greets me every morning are all people that we have friendly conversations with on a regular basis - and who I'll miss once we're gone. I guess we have put down roots.

3. Nine playgrounds, two libraries, a toy store, five grocery stores, and tons of restaurants within walking distance.

4. Living, eating, and working all in the same room. This is also a thing that I complain about. But I wonder if once we move, and after supper we all disappear into separate rooms to spend the evening on separate pursuits, I won't miss these days of enforced family togetherness.

Onward we go, eagerly, but not without a backward glance.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Congratulations on getting the new place!! That's so exciting! My husband and I recall fondly our times spent in our first apartment - a studio where the bed folded out of the wall. Some days I miss eating dinner on the bed and walking two steps to get a glass of water, but other days I'm incredibly thankful for beautiful, glorious SPACE!