Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Across the World, Then Not Eaten by Me

I bought a passion fruit at Whole Foods last week. I had never seen one before. It looks like a tiny purplish plum with a firm surface and a thin skin like a potato. I left it out for a while to ripen, but nothing seemed to be happening, so finally today I sliced it in half. Inside it was full of pulpy glop with hard black seeds about the size of apple seeds. I have no idea how to eat it. I tried a bit of the glop, but it was hard to eat around the seeds, and I don't think you're supposed to swallow them. They splinter like apple seeds in your teeth.

This little fruit grew on a tree in New Zealand, on the total opposite side of the world, was picked by some unknown farm worker and packaged, and was shipped across the globe, consuming fossil fuels all the way, all to arrive in a bin at Whole Foods and be bought at an exorbitant price by me. And I'm not going to eat it? What a waste!

I feel like such a privileged member of society, because throughout history, how few people have ever had the opportunity to eat the range of foods that is available to me? I pretty much have access to any food grown anywhere in the world. I live on a level far above that of any emperor of the ancient world.

All right. I have sufficiently guilt tripped myself that I'm going back in the kitchen now to give it another shot.

No comments: