Sunday, July 05, 2009

Labor

I visited my friend today and got to hold her brand-new, six-day-old baby. The baby was adorable with her little grunts and snuffles, and her wonderfully expressive face. Even though I had one of those myself not too long ago, I forgot how tiny they really are. Her arms and legs were so fragile, they were like wrinkled red little twigs. Her triangular little face registered first doubt, then annoyance, then confusion, melting into a thousand-mile stare. She frowned as she stared up at me.


My friend was equal parts lit up about this baby, just besotted with her – and rightfully so – and shell-shocked by her labor experience. It sounds like she had a truly terrible time. She was in labor for 30 hours, including about six hours of transition labor (the worst, most intense stage, where you're basically having a contraction for 60-90 seconds during every two minutes). She begged for an epidural and got one but it didn't take on one side of her body, so she was still feeling every contraction. When she was finally ready to deliver, her doctor had gone home for the night, and refused to allow my friend be delivered by the doctor on duty at the hospital – so my poor friend had to wait, blowing through every contraction in an effort not to push, for an entire 90 minutes before the doctor made it back to her side. She described it as "torture." I asked her how she coped with the pain, and she said, "I screamed. I was screaming so loud with every contraction, I thought the other women in labor must be terrified listening to me, but I couldn't help it." I felt like crying for her that she had to suffer like that.


I've never experienced pain on that level before. When I was in labor, it was the worst pain I've ever experienced, and I remember feeling desperate for relief, and doing a lot of loud groaning. Luckily, when I got an epidural it worked. Up to that point the worst pain I had ever experienced was a urinary tract infection that made me whimper audibly. I remember feeling astonished: "Wow, that hurt so much I made a noise and couldn't even help it." Maybe I'm just really afraid of losing control, but I tend to not make noise if I can possibly help it when I'm hurt. The embarrassment of making a sound seems worse to me than the pain. For something to hurt so much that I would actually scream out loud – I can't even really comprehend what that must be like. I guess if I ever have a natural childbirth, I may find out. Anyway, my friend is the same way. She's a quiet, mild sort of person, not given to dramatics and never wanting to be the center of attention. I can't wrap my mind around her screaming, or the degree of pain it would take for her to make noise.


My friend said that she is still feeling so traumatized by the whole experience that she is considering getting therapy to help her work through what happened to her. She's having PTSD-like flashbacks, feeling terrified of ever being in labor again. (Fortunately it hasn’t prevented her from bonding with her baby.) In the pictures of her and her husband holding their newborn moments after the birth, they look wan – smiling, but haggard. She looks like she's just been through hell. He looks like he just watched his wife go through hell.


It makes me wonder: how come some women have – not an easy time, necessarily – but a manageable time during labor, whereas others don't? I've read birth stories about mothers who calmly walked during their labors and pushed their babies out with little fuss; mothers who rocked and moaned quietly and were in control of their experiences. That's what I’d want, if I went natural – but I'm scared I'd end up like my friend, screaming and out of my mind with pain, and not in control at all.

No comments: