Thursday, December 08, 2005

Winter in the City

I think one of the best feelings in the world is being safe indoors, looking out of your apartment window on a cold winter's night. Traffic swishing through the snowy streets far below. Snow falling, visible only in the pale yellow glow of the streetlights. The tick of the radiators heating up, keeping you warm, and warm kitchen linoleum under your bare feet. Very late at night is good, and the next day being a holiday is good. Someone you love being in bed waiting for you is good. I wonder how many of these impressions (well, not the last one obviously) are leftovers from my childhood when I used to spend every Christmas at my grandparents' apartment in New York City, when the city was always decorated to the max and the apartment smelled of Christmas-tree and cookies, and it always seemed to be snowing.

No comments: