Thursday, December 01, 2005

Double Speak

Sometimes I get so bored during meetings at work, I resort to mindlessly copying down the fragments of corporate double-speak I hear around me. There is a set group of phrases that gets tossed around every meeting. I don't think they can adjourn unless each of the following has been said at least once:

leverage the announcement
it resonates with the public
context that for him/her
we'll need to finesse it
table it for now
follow up with them
we can wordsmith it later
this issue has legs
it's the wrong ask
we'll have to sit on it
let's throw that in the mix
it's been a fruitful discussion

Today's meeting was particularly pointless and some of the people in the group seemed to be getting pretty frustrated. At a certain point, when it was clear nothing would be settled, my boss said in order to wrap things up, "Well, this has been a fruitful discussion," and I almost burst out laughing.

No comments: