Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Irreverence

Today I was walking around the top gallery in the Hart building, which has a huge atrium with a giant black sculpture in it, and I noticed that there are some tiny paper airplanes resting on the flat surface on top of the sculpture. I walked around to see it from different sides and there are some on several of the level surfaces. They must have been flown there by people leaning out over balconies on various floors.


This isn't a great picture, but you can sort of get an idea of how much space there is and how big the sculpture is. I just had to laugh, wondering who the culprits were, and whether they get a kick out of it every time they walk past and see their airplanes sitting up there. The sculpture (and the building, and the suits) all take themselves so seriously - and then there are those airplanes. I love it.

No comments: