Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Self-Improvement Takes a Back Seat

There's never enough time. I'm under pressure to get to work earlier these days (my boss noticed I've been slinking into the office late), so I leap out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off, skip breakfast, and race to the bus - then fret and pace as it doesn't come for half an hour. In the afternoons, there's grocery shopping or other errands to run on the way home, then nearly every night there's something going on. Cooking dinner, eating dinner, and tidying up fill up the rest of the evening. Most nights I pass out unintentionally on the sofa, wake bleary-eyed at midnight, and stumble to bed knowing I'll have to get up early again the next day.

I shouldn't complain. I have it so easy, compared to most of the people in the world and throughout history. But when, when will I learn Spanish? do yoga? go to the gym? finish my origami project? practice my sketching? volunteer with kids? work in my garden, if I get a plot in the community garden next year? There are so many things I am supposed to be doing on a daily basis, that just never get done.

No comments: