Friday, September 02, 2005

How I Lost My Therapy Virginity

I had my first brush with therapy a couple days ago. Made the appointment to see a counselor along with my boyfriend, so we can figure out what the heck we're doing. I was pretty apprehensive as we were driving over there. After all, it's not like we have anger-management problems or unresolved validation issues with our parents, so I thought a counselor would basically sit us down and say, "Well, do you want to get married or not? This is something you have to decide for yourselves."

I have to say though, I was happily surprised. The guy we chose was very straightforward and direct. No mucking about with "Tell me about your mother," or, "Sooo, have you had any dreams about penises lately?" Instead he asked us what our expectations were for one another, how we envisioned married life, why we were hesitating, and how we expected it to feel when we found "the one." Actually most of the questions were directed at my boyfriend since he is the hesitator in question. It's odd how protective I suddenly felt of him. Watching him in the hot seat, getting hit with one question after another, I wanted to leap to his rescue, "No, it's reasonable for him to have these doubts, I AM crazy like a fox," but fortunately kept my mouth shut and let it play out. I hardly talked at all during the session, since the therapist seemed to be going to bat for me and saying all the things I wanted to say.

Three good things: He came with me willingly. He was pretty open about his feelings throughout the session. On the way down the stairs afterwards, the first thing he did was turn to me and kiss me. I am grateful for that.

No comments: