Monday, August 15, 2005

Foxed

Sorry to get all heavy in the last post. Today's job (and tomorrow's, and tomorrow's): Determined optimism. I will be saintlike and cheerful around the house.

But honestly, it gives me pause, wondering if perhaps scientists aren't all they're cracked up to be. I've always liked the nerdy type - I wanted someone I could fence with. And that's what I've got, and there are days when it thrills me. But equally important, I think, is someone who will gaze adoringly, give back as good as he gets, go to the damn Lamaze classes with me, and coo over grubs (babies) even when they're grubby. Right now that's not what I've got. Whether it will come with time is uncertain.

On Saturday I saw a fox. It was the highlight of the day. Came out of the edge of the woods, so low-down I thought it was a cat, till I saw the pricked-up ears and the brush. If I could have a daemon, like in The Golden Compass, I would like it to be a fox - they're so agile and lovely. So far, no mythology or zodiac has identified me as being a foxy type person though. I keep getting classed as dragons and lions and (according to Native American mythology) salmon, all of which seem so unlike me. The fox watched me just for a flicker of time and then turned and disappeared back into the underbrush.

No comments: