Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Feeling Fortunate

I have such a great family! Last Saturday, I went over to my parents' house to celebrate my birthday with them. I knew my dad had invited a few of my friends to come over, but I had no idea who was coming or when. Over the course of the afternoon, I ran to answer the door again and again as people arrived until the den was filled with friends from high school, college, and grad school; there were neighbors, coworkers, old roommates, even a family with a toddler... They sang me an original song entitled "You Are the Sustainable Agriculture of Our Hearts." My terrific boyfriend composed a mini-treasure hunt for me, complete with a hand-drawn card. My dad gave me the annual treasure hunt he composes for me, which took up most of the day and was fiendishly clever as always. My mom had baked a Boston Cream Pie birthday cake. All day, I just kept hugging people and laughing and talking, and feeling like I was surrounded by well wishes. It doesn't get any better than this! It's almost ridiculous to think that I often feel I don't have friends (or at least not any close friends) - and yet at my birthday party the room was full, and I felt like I couldn't be any happier. I'm especially grateful to my family for pulling the whole thing together. So much more than I was expecting. It just goes to show how distorted my mindset can get when I'm awash in some sadness-of-the-hour.

For now, things are good - and I'm off now on a week's vacation. I'll write when I get back!

No comments: