Thursday, April 30, 2009

If Money Were No Object

One more quote from the motherhood book, by Daphne De Marneffe, got me thinking about what I'd buy if resources were unlimited.

Money is a necessity; it pays for food and shelter, it can make the difference between the life we grew up with and a better life for our children. Money also buys advantages, from safe neighborhoods to SAT prep courses. And discretionary spending really does make one feel better. It meant a lot to me when I was able to get rid of that Naugahyde recliner and decorate my baby's room... Such seemingly superficial uses of money can confer an almost primal sense of pride and satisfaction.

These days, I always feel like I shouldn't spend money on anything beyond the necessities of rent, diapers, transportation, and food (though with food, I give myself a lot of latitude - we often eat out or buy things like avocados and salmon that I love but could do without). If a windfall comes my way, I tend to stick it in the bank right away. That way I have no regrets because I've basically postponed the decision of how to spend it - whereas if I exchanged it for something, I might easily wonder later if I'd really bought the right thing or if it was worth it. But I know exactly what De Marneffe is talking about with the primal sense of satisfaction.

So, I was daydreaming about a scenario with strict rules where I had to spend the money on myself or lose it (no putting it in the bank, no giving it to charity or a friend). Some things I might buy:

* A new carseat for my daughter - clean, with flat unwrinkled straps - not like the hand-me-down she uses which is mottled with old food stains I can't get out.
* A trip to the beach for our family.
* A "Mommy & Me" swim class at the local pool with my daughter, who loves water.
* Our wedding cake, again - it was a yellow cake with the most delicious white chocolate icing in giant swirls and flakes festooning the top and sides. I could eat a lot of it, then freeze the rest and have it a slice at a time for months.
* A plot in the neighborhood community garden and labor to help me tend it. I had one for two years, but had to give it up because I didn't have time to weed it. But I miss those fresh tomatoes and beans.
* A house.
* A bunch of science classes at the university. Ecology, evolution, natural history, Spanish, botany, insects, and animal behavior.
* Dance classes for me and my husband.
* Shoes that I can wear with a dress. Right now I have only four pairs of shoes: sneakers, dress shoes for work, and two pairs of sandals of a style that no one under 65 wears. They are comfortable, so I keep wearing them, but I should invest in something nicer.
* A warm winter coat for my daughter for next year.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I'm fortunate that everything on my list is a luxury, not a necessity - that we can afford to buy what we really need.

No comments: