Friday, April 17, 2009

Am I Fat or Not?

I can't decide.

This is important, because being on the fence about it means I can never sustain the willpower I need to follow through on diet and exercise plans. Half the time I look at myself in the mirror and feel like I'm fine, I just look the way everyone starts to look in their thirties, post-childbirth, with a bit more of a gut than I used to have. I tell myself that, after all, life is short, and not to stress about indulging in sweets from time to time. Those are the high morale days when I feel generally good about myself.

Other times I think my stomach looks awful, saggy and paunchy, and when I suck it in it's covered with wrinkles, and how can it *still* look this bad when the baby is almost two years old already? and what if it never goes back to the way it was, no matter how many sit-ups I do? and it's so ridiculously unfair that there are women who are part elf who zip back to adolescent leanness within weeks of childbirth, whose stomachs are so flat that no one would ever think they had been pregnant, and that I'm not one of them. On days like those I make drastic plans about giving up sugar for Lent (which I did, successfully, not that it made any difference), and suck in my stomach until my muscles ache.

Technically I'm underweight, for my height. But I wear mom jeans, the kind with extra room for the paunch. I haven't even gotten my period back yet, since the baby. But at a recent family reunion, I was terrified that some well-meaning relatives would eye my gut and ask if I'm pregnant with #2.

It doesn't matter how often my husband says "You look great." I keep ricocheting back and forth between feeling like I look all right (if not great), and feeling not all right, at all.

No comments: