Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The General Rallies His Troops, Wide-Screen Version

A bunch of churches in the area were showing free screenings of An Inconvenient Truth, which I hadn't seen before, so I went to see it last Friday. I chose the least churchy of the churches, a non-denominational "forum for people who believe in good" but don't worship a particular deity. Basically, atheists who worry about stuff. It's a nice group of people, I've gone to a few of their meetings before.

The movie was really powerful. It was based on the slideshow that I saw Gore give last year, with some added footage of glaciers breaking up, Katrina devastation, etc. The scene where the Larsen B ice shelf broke up and vanished into the Antarctic Ocean was particularly affecting. The ice shelf was so huge that scientists studying it assumed it would be there for centuries - but it broke up in a matter of days. I heard people around me gasping. One woman said, "Jesus." Another watching the glacier crumble said, "My God." In times of extremity, I guess even atheists reach for those familiar words to express their shock and sorrow.

No comments: