Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Water

I was washing the dishes yesterday, thinking that running water is really a nice thing to have. It's amazing when you think about it, how you can be in an apartment ten stories up and turn on the faucet and water comes out - no delay, no sputtering, just a nice steady stream of water that is clean and safe to drink. In some areas of the world, women spend half their day walking back and forth between their homes and the nearest waterhole (which can be an hour away) to fetch water for their families. For them, being able to turn on the tap and get water - as much of it as you want - would seem like a miracle.

If I had to fetch all my own water, on foot, I don't think I could do it. Especially in the heat. I'd probably use up all the water I was bringing back, just drinking it.

No comments: