Friday, August 08, 2008

The Worst Possible Outcome?

One of my coworkers just had a baby - well, his wife did. Last winter when I was talking with him about pregnancy and babies, he mentioned that they were going to have a natural childbirth. It's funny how emphatic some people are about it. He said, "We are going to go natural," and told me about the Bradley classes they were taking. Another coworker chimed in, "My wife went natural with all three of our kids. Women don't need epidurals and all that stuff. There's no reason more births shouldn't be natural."

I listened and nodded - indeed, during my pregnancy I was steeping myself in Ina May Gaskin's Spiritual Midwifery and a Bradley guide and many other resources that all said the same thing - , but when he said that I couldn't help thinking with a funny little shiver, what if labor goes differently from how you planned? How do you know it will all work out? It also seems odd for a man to be making those kinds of decisions for his wife. Since she's going to be experiencing the pain, it seems to me it should be entirely up to her. Of course, perhaps these guys were just repeating what their wives were saying, but it sounded to me like decisions they were imposing on their wives. And how can you ever require someone else's pain tolerance to live up to your preconceived ideal?

Anyway, after I had congratulated him and heard all about the new baby and gushed over the adorable pictures, I casually asked how labor and delivery went. He said, "It was, frankly, completely awful. She was stalled at 9 centimeters for hours and hours, we tried everything, but she just couldn't progress. So it was a C-section. The worst possible outcome. Very disappointing."

Again, I got a funny shiver in my spine, like he was disappointed not in the situation, but in her. I felt like saying, "I'm sure she did her best! How can you be disappointed, when she's given you this beautiful son?" I really felt for his poor wife. I think they were so thoroughly indoctrinated by the Bradley classes that they started thinking women who have C-sections are copping out, and no matter what I'm sure she feels his disappointment as a form of judgment on her.

I also wanted to say, "That's not the worst possible outcome! My goodness. The worst possible outcome is a dead baby. Or a brain-damaged baby. Or a dead wife." Birth is a scary, dramatic event where a lot of things can go wrong, very quickly, and the C-section he's regarding as a terrible stain on their record likely saved the lives of both his wife and child.

In the end I just made sympathetic noises and said, "But you have a wonderful healthy baby, and your wife is all right. And a few years down the line it really won't make any difference how it started." He said he guessed so.

It makes me feel glad, first of all, that I wasn't clinging so hard to any particular vision of how my labor and delivery would go that I would feel crushed afterward when the reality turned out different. And that my husband was so totally supportive of everything I wanted. And that I can look back on my own labor experience with such a happy, peaceful feeling.

No comments: