Sunday, November 02, 2008

Fabric Dreams

On my way back to the office after my lunch break I stopped in at the fabric store. It's such a tactile experience, I felt like a toddler again, enjoying using all my senses instead of just my eyes and ears. I spent a happy ten minutes running my hands over different fabrics - lifting shimmery silks, testing the pile on thick velvets. For some reason I always seem to be drawn to "old lady" fabrics - dark, flowered velvety material that looks gorgeous on the bolt but that I can't picture using for anything besides pillow coverings in a fussily decorated parlor. Back when I used to work as a cashier in a fabric store, I would wait until fabric like that went on extra discounted super sale - and then buy a yard of it, just to have. Then there were the notions. I lingered over shiny buttons, iridescent reels of ribbon, and bowls of thimbles. I'm probably the kind of customer they hate because I touch everything but buy nothing.

No one I know makes their own clothes any more, but the store where I worked was always full of people (okay, women) with craft projects. They were buying Halloween print fabrics to make costumes for their grandkids, tartans to make skirts, yarn to knit caps and socks, fleecey fabric to make coats for their dogs. They all had more ideas for projects than they had time to do them. And just in case a customer walked in who needed inspiration, every season the store was redecorated and we'd put out the new seasonal print fabrics, notions, and catalogs.

Perhaps now that the economy is in the toilet there'll be a return to old-fashioned ways of doing things and more people will frequent fabric stores. Not to make coats for dogs, but to make coats for kids. Which sounds sobering, but really it can be a good thing. I'm all for home haircuts, home cooking, and homemade gifts, so why not clothes, too?

2 comments:

Meg said...

My mom used to make matching dresses for my sister and I. My favorite was a pantsuit jumper type thing that was made of brown velvet with ugly orange and green flowers and vines. I wore it until the bottoms of the pants crept up towards my knees. I was so proud on school picture day when everyone else was wearing something ordinary. Unfortunately, I never developed a knack for sewing, although I did try to make my own clothes when I was in my preteens. I used fabric and glue. =)

Erin said...

Actually that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would wear. :)

I have one and only one sewing project to my credit. I made a silk skirt from a pattern. It's a beautiful skirt but the waistline is too tight for me now - d'oh.